Monday, August 24, 2009

Wild Boars and Other Interesting Escapes

Today was supposed to be a quiet day here in the olive groves of the Arno Valley. I might have mentioned that I "escaped" from hospital yesterday as I had to get to bookings at Uffizi and Accademia. Today I was discharged from ospedale with a couple of prescriptions and a very nice photo of my medical consultation team at the Pronto Soccorro. Frances is an amazing resource and was last seen dashing off in the company of yet another cousin, this time named Antonio. Our new friend Rosalina picked me up, accompanied by Chris and Joanne. Stocking up on food for the day, we headed off to an afternoon of late Tuscan lunch (the usual ingredients of foccaccia, buffalo mozzarella, rucola, pommadoro, prosciutto and salami, fresh fruit salad, with pinot grigio) back at the olive farm, followed by pool time, reading, and computer work, particularly photos, none of which are posted yet. But we are truly very busy ... trust me! Joanne is looking quite well rested after three naps, as am I after two. When I get my new shoes and my prescriptions (nothing is open here on Mondays), I will have done everything the doctor ordered.

Just before dinner Jan and Joanne wandered off into the winding lanes in the woods but returned rather rapidly, shouting O-blah-dee, o-blah-dah! to scare off the wild boar chasing them. Actually they had decided to walk 1 km to take the garbage out and somehow attracted the attentions of the local fauna. Apparently Jan had just commented on how much she loved the evenings when all the animals came out for a last meal. I take a little licence here ... she likes birds who eat at dusk! This story is true. Although we didn't actually see the boar, Chris and I believe them because they had a very wild-eyed look and red faces from the running and laughing at their lucky escape. I can't imagine how Chris and I would have explained how we lost Jan and Joanne to the local area snorting beast.

Dinner thereafter was a Safeway chicken -- disguised but identified regardless here in Tuscany under the supermarket Coop brand. It goes really well with Valpolicella and Isola d'Oro Nero D'Avola, salad, and the rest of the Foccaccio. Few pictures of this event survive. Now Frances is here ... Chris won the bet as she is home before midnight. We are recapping the events of the day and may make coffee before going to bed early at 12:30 because Beppe is getting us for the outlet mall, Siena, Pisa, Lucca, and points northeast from here.

Moira

No comments:

Post a Comment